19 December, 2011

The Cutting Room Floor

The Cutting Room Floor – Top Scenes We Wish Existed
Season 3 – December Hiatus | Post Date: Monday, December 19, 2011
______________________________________________________________

For true fans of television dramas, the Christmas/New Year’s hiatus is something akin to awakening December 25 only to find a lump coal in the toe of your stocking.  It seems outrageously unfair that a one-month break is even a possibility and yet here we are.  Fortunately, we’ve already made it through one week… just three more to go until The Good Wife’s 12th episode, “Alienation of Affection,” debuts on January 8.

When Left to Wonder...
The break has given me time to ponder (more than usual) what’s happening behind the scenes at The Good Wife.  What are the writers talking about?  How are they storyboarding plots?  What’s next for Team Gardner?  I will confess to getting my fix of The Good Wife by keeping up on the latest news and reading interviews from the cast.  In a recent TV Guide article, for example, it was said: “While there may be trouble ahead for the pair [Will and Alicia] “it doesn’t mean they won’t be able to work through it” says Margulies.”  Whew!  Of course, the writers are reporting that Alicia is unlikely to dip her toe in the same water twice, so I’m left to wonder:  1)What could possibly be next?  After I made my “I didn’t see that coming list” last week, I’m waiting, with baited breath  2) Why can’t I listen to Rihanna’s song “We Found Love* [in a Hopeless Place]” without thinking of Will and Alicia? and 3) What is scattered on the cutting room floor?

Spread photo taken from the November 7, 2011 TV Guide
Looking back over the last 11 episodes, there are a few holes I wish The Good Wife writers had filled in for us.  Of course, then I wouldn't be left to imagine anything, so maybe I’m a little thankful, too.  Now, without further ado, here’s my list of “Top Scenes We Wished Existed… in the First Half of Season Three.”

1) The Christmas Gift Exchange.  I had hoped for weeks that Team Gardner would survive until the holidays as I couldn’t wait to see what Will would buy Alicia.  Seriously, I wanted this scene so badly it topped my list to Santa.  While I’m the one left crying in my eggnog over this possibility gone awry, I still imagine he would have given her something amazing.  I mean, really – if Will was keen enough to drop $7,800 on a hotel room and a butler named Jerome (who, let’s face it, Will and Alicia probably never saw), what’s not to say he wouldn’t have given her some kind of fabulous jewelry?  A beautiful necklace or pair of earrings?  Please, oh please, Good Wife writers… give us some kind of gift-giving occasion!

2) Thanksgiving Dinner.  Just think about it.  Did Alicia cook and host?  Was Jackie invited?  Where was Peter?  What did Will do?  Come to think of it, where does Will go for any major holiday?  We’ve never seen him with family or hear him talk of siblings or other relatives.  All we know about him is that he has a nice old car that he barely gets to drive.  Ahhhh… to have seen Thanksgiving dinner

3) Will, Meet Grace.  Will meeting Zach was awkward enough… and Zach is the definitely the pick of the litter when it comes to Alicia’s kids.  Will meeting Grace would have sent me over the edge with a) shrieking and b) wanting to hide under a table.  The only thing that might make this scene possibility even better would be if Jennifer was at the meeting.  If Will was tongue-tie with Zach, who knows what he would say to Grace and Jennifer.  “Keep on, keepin’ on” Will… maybe it’s best Grace has eluded you for so long

4) The Office Christmas Party.  A few of my new Twitter friends (hi Tweeps!) have been suggesting this for a while, and I can safely say I would be in love with an episode involving an office Christmas/Hanukkah  party.  First off, I would hope for a secret staff gift exchange where Diane would have to buy something for Eli (a quick trip to Barnes and Noble would see Diane secure a copy of “Who Moved My Cheese” and then she could kick back with a glass of Scotch and contemplate her brilliance).  Second, there would have to be a group sing-along after the free-pouring of holiday libations.  The cast of The Good Wife is stacked solid with talented singers: Alan Cumming, Christine Baranski, Monica Raymund and Graham Phillips to start.  Imagine what things would look like by 11 pm over at Lockhart Gardner?

Forget visions of sugar plums dancing in my head this Christmas…  I’ll remain blissfully content dreaming of these potential scenes while sipping a holiday bevvy from my Team Gardner mug.  Thank you to The Good Wife writers for continuing to keep viewers on their toes each week with thought-provoking stories and actors who shine beyond measure.  With just three weeks to go, we can all kick back and wonder what 2012 will bring for this cast of brilliant characters.  

Related to this post:

  • *Rihanna's "We Found Love [in a Hopeless Place]




1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...